"The greatest problem with world evangelisation
is that Christians don’t like to hang out with non-Christians.”-
Jim Yost (World Mandate conference September 2011)
Each DBS is very discussion-oriented (all members
participate) and looks like this...
Opening Questions (go around the circle and share):
- What are you thankful for?
- What is your biggest need today?
Pray for each other
Read the verses.
- The have several people re-read the same verses in another translation.
- Ask someone to retell the story as if they are telling it to a child.
Reflect – Ask the group…
What stands out?
How am I going to obey something I read here (“I will” statement – a tangible practical thing to “do” in the next 2 days). This is a statement that starts with “I will” and reflects something the Holy Spirit is highlighting to you about the scriptures just read.
I will take time to journal about this topic to the Lord tomorrow to see what He says to me.
I will apologize to my brother for what I said. I will call him tonight.
I will serve my neighbor by mowing their lawn for them. I will text them tomorrow to ask them about a good time.
Who am I going to tell?
The core values of church (DNA) that are instilled
in the group follow. The numbers correspond:
- Thanksgiving and Praise
- Intercessory Prayer
- Accountability in Evangelism
- Accountability in Obedience
- Bible Study — Scripture is Primary (not man or
- Understanding of God’s Word (and preparing for
- Self-correcting with God’s Word the Authority
- Knowing God and his Desires
- Obedience (and Accountability)
- Evangelism (and Accountability)
You can see how, in time, the DBS becomes (with no teaching
as to “how to do church”) a time for Christians
to meet together in order to praise God, encourage one another,
study God’s word, minister to one another and their
community, prepare for evangelism, hold one another accountable,
etc. — in essence they function as a church.
There are loads of intentional values built into
this approach to gathering. Here are just a few:
- Anyone can lead.
- All people participate every time.
- The passage and group self corrects the conversation.
- Pre-Christians can do this.
- It includes worship to God and relationship with others.
- It creates a Bible-centered gathering.
- It shows people that they can study and learn the Bible
- It teaches people that they do not need a qualified Pastor
or Teacher to learn the Bible.
- It allows space for Jesus and the Holy Spirit to lead